This fabric embodies the essence of the 'Three W's' we seek out when sourcing selvedge denim - Weight, Weave and Wabi-sabi . At a solid 19oz this is a selvedge with substantial weight, an uneven weave and potential for exceptional patina. The surface has a highly textured cross hatch with an open face weave that is coarse and dry to the touch. The yarn is really the secret weapon here as it is thick and ropey with a super low tension weave using uneven slub yarns both in the warp and weft of the weave which is the key to achieving a selvage of this caliber cross hatch. We've added a pic of the back of the fabric for you to check out the unevenness caused by the slow cooked, low tension weaving that can only be attained on a shuttle loom.
As for the indigo shade, that doesn't disappoint either. A green cast top with a dark indigo base that will become more apparent as the jean is worn and washed throughout the break in process. The sulfur green cast gives off a darker and more aggressive aesthetic than a pure indigo. With the layered dyeing the denim will acquire a multi-dimensional wabi-sabi (patina) of wear and tear as the yarn ages over the weeks and months. You will look and feel tough as nails in this quality.
The top block is slightly narrower in the low hip/seat compared to the Slim Straight . A regular rise with a slimmer in the upper thigh (compared to the Slim Straight). Tapers to a narrow bottom opening. The narrow opening creates an impressive stacking effect around the ankles as it sits on 'top' of shoe rather than falling over it.
(click here for size chart)
- Sewn & chain stitched in all the right places on vintage Union Special, Reece & Singer machines.
- A & E core spun poly thread for maximum strength & durability.
- Embroidered star insignia on the right back pocket represents ‘Made in America’ status.
- Button fly with double prong, donut style buttons. Old style pocket rivet burrs.
- All hardware is made in Kentucky.
- 8/9mm ultra heavy vegetable dye leather iD back patch.
- Leather back patches are cut & stamped in Los Angeles & waistband label is woven locally in Los Angeles.
- Every aspect of the production is US made in Downtown Los Angeles.