The story of waxed cotton begins on the high seas …… Sailors in the 15th Century were at the mercy of the rain, wind and waves and often their craft offered little protection from the elements. Survival was dependant on good clothing. British Sailors treated their flax canvas sailcloth with linseed oil, which prevented the sailcloth from becoming soaked, keeping it light and efficient in the strong winds. Left over pieces of oiled sailcloth were often crafted into crude smocks and worn by the men on deck to protect them from the harsh biting winds and sprays.
However, Linseed oil was far from ideal, turning yellow over time and cracking in cold conditions, losing its weather-resistant properties. British Millerain, already at this stage an established cotton finishing company, set at work to overcome this problem and pioneered the development of paraffin-based waxed cotton, which offered improved weather-resistance and breathability, without the deteriorating properties of linseed oil. This early work formed the basis of waxed cotton as we know it today!
For this drop of Ironside Jackets we chose a 12oz British Millerain waxed cloth which offers substance and mobility. Aesthetically, waxed cloth distresses over time and develops a soft sheen reminiscent of a well-worn leather.
Fully cut and sewn in Los Angeles with the strongest poly-core cotton thread this jacket is built to last. Even though functionality is the core design motivation, there is a stylish, yet understated ruggedness that elevates the sherpa jacket to the pinnacle of timeless American design.
Buy true to size for regular fit and if you plan on layering with flannel then size up.
Now available in XXXL sizes as well - don't sleep on this one...
- 12oz Waxed British Millerain Water Proof Cloth.
- Deep pile Sherpa Fleece with large 'nap' texture.
- The overall effect is similar to real sheep’s wool, but sherpa lining is lighter weight, much less bulky, and faster-drying.
- Black quilted, fully lined arms.
- The arm shell is composed of nylon taffeta quilted to lightweight polyester for warmth.
- Manufactured in the United States.
- The collar is lined with the same sherpa lining as the interior. This feature is functional as the fast-drying sherpa lining won’t get sodden from snow or rain as quickly as a cotton collar.
- Fully lined interior both body and arms
- Shell (Sherpa fleece lined) / Arms (Quilted nylon lining)
- Two exterior side pockets
- Two exterior chest pockets w/ button flaps
- Two interior pockets/one welted internal pocket and one patch pocket.
- Flat felled interior seams.
- Embroidered star insignia on back yoke represents 'Made in America' status.
Care Instructions (see here)
Size Specs: See Our Jacket Fit Sizing Here