Our mission at Brave Star is to constantly seek out unique weaves and dye processes made in small batch runs. The selvage denims we gravitate toward emphasize the beauty and color spectrum of rope dyed indigo. This quality is one of the most unique and rare indigo shades we have worked with as it combines a rope dye process with a vat dye process. The goal was to mimic vintage era unsanforized denim which had a distinct blue-green shade without having to deal with the shrinkage uncertainty that is the hallmark of unsanforized denim. This is achieved thru a laborious and innovative process combining rope dye techniques and then vat dyeing the yarn green (dipping blue - green - blue in vat dye shades of blue/green color). This is very difficult to control but when mastered the vat dyed green shade will fade like a pure indigo instead of staying fixed while the indigo fades which will give the denim that highly coveted unsanforized aging and fading result.
Another attribute is the
special 7s extra thick count nep yarn which is responsible for those beautiful indigo nubs you see that dot the face and backside of the denim. This was specifically designed into the yarn to give it a vintage 'indigo snow' effect. This selvage offers the discerning denim head all the beauty of a vintage unsanforized selvage without the unpredictable shrinkage.
(click here for size chart)
- Denim is SANFORIZED.
- Sewn & chain stitched in all the right places on vintage Union Special, Reece & Singer machines.
- A & E core spun poly thread for maximum strength & durability.
- Embroidered star insignia on the right back pocket represents ‘Made in America’ status.
- Button fly with double prong, donut style buttons. Old style pocket rivet burrs.
- All hardware is made in Kentucky.
- Leather back patches are cut & stamped in Los Angeles & waistband label is woven locally in Los Angeles.
- Every aspect of the production is US made in Downtown Los Angeles.